The Camp Chef Stove-Oven Combo
One of the most important requirements of a comfortable camping trip is a reliable camp stove. There are several different types of camping stove available. A really versatile one is the Camp Chef stove-oven combo.
Camp Chef Propane Stove & Oven
What can you do with this combo?
The Camp Chef stove-oven combo has the same cooking capabilities as a home oven and range. It’s designed for portability and versatility. It can provide the heat to cook anything from your favorite breakfast omelet to baked cookies and breads. There’s no need to pre-heat the oven; all you need to do is light the oven, put in your food and monitor the temperature.
Note: This appliance is recommended for outdoor use only.
Fuel Requirements and Cooking Capacity
The combo is fueled by a disposable 1-pound propane bottle. However, it can be adapted for a bulk tank, using a hose adapter. The cooker can operate at 350°F for up to 7 hours on one 1-pound can of propane.
For your stove-top cooking, the range has 2 self-igniting brass burners. You can control the heat by using the fully-adjustable dials.
The oven also works with matchless ignition and can reach a temperature of 400°F. You can easily fit a 9 x 13-inch pan into the oven.
The oven has a built-in temperature gauge and 2 removable oven racks. Good insulation ensures that you can bake more while using less fuel.
To conform to camping regulations, the oven cannot have automatic temperature control. However, if the temperature exceeds the required level, simply open the oven a crack to release some of the heat.
- Color: Black/Silver
- Height: 31 inches
- Width: 24 inches
- Depth: 18 inches
- Weight: 32 pounds
- Material: Stainless steel
- Cooking surface: Non-stick enamel
- Range size: 17 inches wide, 9.5 inches deep
- Inside Oven size: 16 inches wide, 11 deep, 9 high.
Cover and Windshield
The Camp Chef stove-oven combo has a hinged lid that can be raised for cooking on the range. With the 2 side supports, it forms an effective 3-sided windscreen.
- Durable, stainless steel construction;
- Enamel cooking surface makes it easy to clean;
- Easy, matchless ignition;
- Insulated oven for efficient heat retention;
- 3-sided wind protection;
- Convenient carry-handles;
- Easily portable, can stand on a table;
- Adaptable for a bulk tank.
- Igniter might not always “catch”; solution: keep a lighter handy, just in case;
- Thermometer reading might not always be accurate (some users report); solution: keep a separate thermometer, if uncertain;
- Not a “walk-away” stove – need to check for minor temperature adjustments;
- Oven temperature control is not automatic (camping regulations stipulate manual temperature control).
There is not much that I would like to see changed in this Camp Chef stove-oven combo. It’s unfortunate that the oven temperature cannot be automatically controlled. However, according to the manufacturer, they have had to choose the manual control option because of “camping regulations”. The stainless steel construction certainly gives one peace of mind regarding the appliance’s durability.
Judging by the user reviews on Amazon, this Camp Chef outdoor oven stove is able to fulfill all a camper’s cooking needs. The problems some users have encountered with this product seem to be isolated ones, as the vast majority have had a very positive experience.
This stove-oven combo is versatile, easily portable, durable and efficient. I would recommend it as an ideal cooking companion for any avid camper.