Finding yourself in a life-threatening or emergency situation and being at a loss about what to do is not pleasant. This is why you should know how crucial it is for you to own a whistle.
Though inexpensive, it is one of the most efficient ways to draw attention and ensure you get help in case of emergency situations as fast as possible.
IN A NUTSHELL – BEST SURVIVAL & EMERGENCY WHISTLES
|Ultimate Survival Technologies JetScream Whistle,||32 Reviews||from $8.18||Buy on Amazon|
|S.O.L. Survive Outdoors Longer Slim Rescue Howler Whistle (2-Count)||215 Reviews||$6.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Fox 40 Sonik Blast CMG Official Whistle||142 Reviews||$13.96||Buy on Amazon|
|Rothco Storm Safety Whistle/ Safety Black||56 Reviews||$5.95||Buy on Amazon|
|Vargo Titanium Emergency Whistle with Cord||110 Reviews||$10.95||Buy on Amazon|
One of the best things you can do to protect your life is to be proactive, especially if you are in an emergency or survival situation.
For an outdoorsy person going on a hike by yourself and ending up getting lost can be very terrifying. Even when you shout for help, your voice may not carry more than a few meters and could also be lost in the wind. Also, if you end up losing your sense of direction or can’t find the trail, then it can really be frightening.
A specialized tool such as a survival whistle can make a loud and piercing noise, penetrating the wind and notifying anyone within a radius of a few kilometers that someone needs help. It is an excellent tool for getting the attention you need urgently.
This is why it is very crucial for everyone in your group of hikers to carry it at all times together with the must-haves like a mini first-aid kit.
What should you look for in an emergency survival whistle?
A survival kit is not complete without an emergency whistle. But you shouldn’t just go out there to purchase any survival whistle you fancy without carrying out any research.
There are myriads of such specialized tools on the market today. Therefore, you need to learn or follow some tips in your quest for selecting the best survival whistle that you can add to your kit whenever you are ready to embark on your outdoor adventures.
The following are the stuff you must watch out for before buying any survival whistle of your choice:
What are the uses of a survival whistle?
Although a survival whistle may appear trivial to you, it could be the tool that will save your life when you are out there in rough country or backwoods.
The following are the uses of survival whistles:
Now, let’s take them one by one:
This state-of-the-art survival tool is one of the loudest you can find anywhere, up to 122 decibels. The chambers are tuned harmonically to deliver high-pitched sounds when blown so that it drowns other natural or man-made noises. Expect your ears to be ringing even after a day of blowing it; that’s how earsplitting it can be.
- It is made of high-strength plastic which makes means it won’t rust
- It comes in black and orange colors, but experts advise that you go for the orange variety since it is easier to spot in the dark
- It is easy to carry and light enough to be hung on your keychain or around your neck
- It does not weigh more than 8.5 gram and approximately 2.3 inches long
- It can be used in wet conditions
The only disadvantage is the lung force required to make it heard. You will need all the energy you can muster if you want to hit the 122dB levels. However, it is not entirely necessary for you to blow it that high for you to be heard.
It comes with a single-frequency which emits a signal of 100dB which is still audible if help is a mile away.
It works in any outdoors condition and does not freeze or jam.
- It works without freezing or jamming in any outdoors condition
- It weighs less than 1oz
- It fits any pocket and can even be attached to zipper pools
- It emits sounds up to 100dB which can be heard more than one mile away
- It comes with a unique and high-quality design
For some individuals, it may not be loud or piercing enough. But it is one of the best on the market today.
This is another survival tool that is widely employed in various situations and can be used as a referee, in case of an emergency or as a lifeguard.
It is available in different colors and emits about 120dB of earsplitting sound which can be heard over a radius of more than one mile. It is unaffected by moisture and very easy to blow. It can also be cleaned easily after use.
- It is easy to blow
- It can reach up to 120 decibels and even higher if you blow with more force – the harder you blow, the louder the sound – though this is not entirely necessary
- It is designed using 100% high-impact ABS (acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene) plastic which implies that it will never break or rust
- It is durable and can withstand harsh conditions
- It is impervious or unaffected by moisture
- It does not jam, freeze or break since there are no moving parts that will obstruct sounds
- It comes together with a breakaway lanyard which makes it easy to carry in times of need
- It is loud enough to be heard above other ambient sounds from football stadia, airports, race tracks, etc. and more than a mile away
It may be too shrill for some people, but all in all, it’s a must-have for outdoor enthusiasts.
This is one of the best on the market today and comes in a bright yellow color. It is extraordinarily high-pitched and carefully designed to be heard through walls, glass, and across the water. It can even be used underwater and features decibel levels that range from 118 to 120 decibels.
Its design may be simple, but it works perfectly in any situation and the ideal tool to add to your survival preparedness kit. It is also built to last and is relatively affordable.
It’s constructed using the lightest and toughest material on earth: titanium. This means that it will never be prone to rust or breaking irrespective of the age or situation. It is known to emit up to 100dB of sound and even higher (if required).
- It is lightweight and easy to find, thanks to the cord that comes with it
- It can be worn around the neck, attached to your belt, keychain or backpack thereby making it easy to reach during emergencies
- It is loud, and if you possess powerful lungs, it can go as high-pitched as you like
- It will never jam, thanks to its unique design
- It is made of titanium, making it resistant to rust
Users have complained about the ruggedness roughness of the cord if worn around the neck as well as the fact that it is not made of a single piece. A small plastic is part of the design which, when it falls, may not function properly again.
Survival whistles are a necessary accessory that must always be part of your survival preparedness kit, especially if you love going for outdoors adventures. No one expects any emergency situation to crop up, but when you are prepared when it occurs, it could mean the difference between life and death. Choose the right one and be assured of your safety in emergency situations in the wilderness.